Monday, May 21, 2018

First Impressions (A Contemporary Retelling of Pride and Prejudice) By Debra White Smith



While this is a retelling of the classic book Pride and Prejudice there is enough surprises and twists to make it seem brand new.  However, I found it a bit redundant to have the characters in the book who are each based on an Austen character also acting as those exact same characters in Aunt Maddy's Pride and Prejudice play.  For example Smith's character Dave Davidson is based on Austen's character Mr. Darcy.  Dave Davidson also acts in his aunt's play of Pride and Prejudice as Mr. Darcy.  That's just too much Mr. Darcy for me.  It has also made the plot of the story move a bit too slowly for my taste.  There is also too much mention (again redundancy) about Dave Davidson's vast wealth.  I get the picture!  But as reader am told over and over of this fact.  The best part of the book is the mystery behind Davidson's pseudonym and the Barclay sister's unique individual journeys.  If you are a Pride and Prejudice fan I think you will either love the retelling in a modern setting or perhaps find it disappointing as it cannot match Austen's work of art.

I received this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment